Black History and Women’s History Month
Visit ‘History’s Hometown’ of Auburn, NY to celebrate Black History and Women’s History special events going on the weekend of March 9 & 10. Fun and educational for the family.
- Start your journey with hour-long guided tours of the Seward House Museum
- Continue with a tour of the Harriet Tubman National Historical Park
- Try lunch at Mesa Grande Taqueria for local, fresh fare.
- If you have young children with the wiggles, check out Play Space ABC Cayuga.
- Older kids and adults would be intrigued to see where Tubman and Seward plus members of his family were laid to rest at nearby Fort Hill Cemetery, featuring paved paths for walking or driving through.
- Sample flights of award-winning craft beer plus a varied menu with something for everyone for dinner at Prison City Pub & Brewery
- Overnight in Auburn at Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn- they both feature pools and their own signature restaurants if dining in is more your thing.
- The amazement continues in downtown Auburn Sunday, March 10 at the NYS Equal Rights Heritage Center for the First Annual Harriet Tubman Day celebration from noon – 2. Open 10-4 with so much to see and discover, why not come early or stay after the event to peruse the exhibits and shop at the Taste NY Market with local grab-and-go goodies to take home or give as gifts.
- Not ready for your weekend to end? Stick around for the Harriet Tubman Day MLK Jam at Auburn Public Theater at 7 PM.
Links and Details
- The Seward House Museum is open Tuesday – Saturday 10 AM – 5 PM with tours at the top of the hour.
- The Harriet Tubman National Historical Park is open 10 AM – 4 PM Tuesday – Friday and 10 AM – 3 PM Saturday with tours at 10, noon and 2.
- Mesa Grande Taqueria
- Play Space ABC Cayuga for kids up to age 6, open 10 AM – 4 PM Saturday, 12 – 2 PM Sunday. Hours during the week vary.
- Fort Hill Cemetery
- Prison City Pub & Brewery
- NYS Equal Rights Heritage Center
- Harriet Tubman Day MLK Jam
Want a printable version to take on the road with you? We have a downloadable PDF of the Black History and Women's History Month Itinerary for your convenience!