Skip to content
< Back

Sterling Historical Society

1294 State Route 104A
Sterling, NY 13156

Phone: (315) 564-6721


This had not been used as a school since the 1950s and at the time was being used as the Town Hall. The second floor was cleared and cleaned. With the help of town Highway Superintendent, Miley Flack, and his crew, an old stove was obtained to provide heat for the workers. Over a two-year period, culminating in 1976, the committee painted the schoolhouse and prepared exhibits.The Old Classroom exhibit was set up by Hazel Fralick and Jeannette McIntyre. The 1976 celebration was to focus on Arbor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day and a week in August. Word got around and before the summer was over some 500 people had visited the exhibits.Secretary, H. Lucille Flack, recorded the following in her minutes of the June meeting: “June 28, 1976, a meeting of the Bicentennial Committee with Dorothea Field, Chair and Hazel Fralick, Town Historian, was held to make a decision about forming a historical society.